This is an unclassified position held at the pleasure of the Court. This position involves providing legal secretarial services to the Judges and other assistance as required to the Judges and other Court personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the Court. Tasks are assigned by the Judges, bailiffs and/or staff attorneys, with general instructions, and are usually reviewed by that individual. Administrative supervision (e.g., leave requests, personnel evaluations) is provided by the Central Scheduling Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Typing and proofreading various documents, including letters, speeches, rulings, opinions, jury instructions (regarding criminal and civil cases), verdicts, jury interrogatories and various reports;
- Transcribing dictation via digital means or dictating machine equipment;
- Performing a variety of other related duties as required (e.g., copying documents, creating documents for presentations, delivering faxes).
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with judges, staff, Court employees, attorneys and the public;
- Excellent spelling, punctuation and grammar skills and efficient and accurate keyboard ability;
- Ability to operate various office machines (e.g., personal computers, dictaphones, copying and facsimile machines);
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word; experience in all other Microsoft applications preferred;
- Familiarity with legal terminology; experience with Ohio Jury Instructions helpful;
- Attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to understand and follow instructions;
- Ability to work independently, often with limited supervision, and generate high quality work product;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change with little notice;
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment;
- Effective time management, reliability and punctuality;
- Professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
Education and Experience
A minimum of a high school diploma, with legal secretarial experience preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described represent those an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires working in a normal Court environment with no unusual demands or exposure to hazardous situations. Tasks involve extended periods of time at a computer workstation (keyboard and monitor). Frequent contact occurs with judges, bailiffs, courtroom assistants, staff attorneys, supervisors and co-workers to receive and discuss work assignments and issues.
The normal hours of operation are from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. This position may occasionally require a flexible work schedule outside of the normal Court hours of operation (i.e., evenings & weekends).
Qualified applicants will be required to submit to testing. Proof of education and employment references will be required before final interview. The Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas requires submission to a criminal history background check and drug testing for employment. Applicants must submit a letter of interest and a resume by 4:30 P.M. on Friday, January 25, 2019, to:
Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court
Gregory Popovich, Court Administrator
1200 Ontario Street
Justice Center 11th Floor
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
The Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas requires submission to a criminal history background check and drug testing
prior to employment.
All applicants will receive notification of their application status. No phone calls or e-mails please. Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs accommodation, please contact the Director of Human Resources for Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court at 216-443-8560.