Office Assistant / Court Interpreter (Spanish)
This is an unclassified position held at the pleasure of the Court. The primary responsibility for this position is to provide Spanish language interpretation and translation duties to assist the Judges, magistrates, attorneys and Court employees in communicating with individuals doing business with the Court who have limited proficiency with the English language or are non-English speaking. In addition to those duties, the successful candidate will be assigned to a Court department as an Office Assistant, performing various clerical and administrative duties specific to that department, subject to availability.
Commensurate with certification & experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing simultaneous, consecutive and sight translation modes of interpretation for courtroom and other legal proceedings, including, but not limited to, trials, pre-trials, arraignments, sentencings, motion hearings and probation violations;
- Translating documents as requested for use in the Court;
- Attending on-going training to improve and maintain foreign language interpreter skills, as well as on-going training regarding court interpreter standards of ethics and conduct, including any applicable rules or standards for interpreters adopted by the Supreme Court of Ohio, including, but not limited to, the Code of Professional Conduct for Court Interpreters and Translators;
- Completing and reporting all required continuing education for certified interpreters in accordance with Superintendence Rule 85 for the Courts of Ohio;
- Assisting other courts and/or governmental entities, as directed, with translation and/or interpretation services;
- Collecting, interpreting, and analyzing data for the computation and submission of statistical reports and records;
- Performing administrative, clerical, procedural and functional duties relevant to the assigned department and task;
- Preparing correspondence, memos, documents, reports and forms;
- Performing a variety of other related duties as required (e.g., filing, answering telephones, copying/scanning/imaging).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties to be performed. Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate fluently and effectively, both orally and in writing, in English and Spanish, with Judges, other Court employees, attorneys, litigants, witnesses, victims, individuals having business before the Court and the public;
- Ability to perform interpreter duties according to established standards and in an accurate, impartial manner, as required by court interpreter ethics, and abide by any applicable rules or standards for interpreters adopted by the Supreme Court of Ohio, including, but not limited to, the Code of Professional Conduct for Court Interpreters and Translators;
- Ability to interpret in a manner that accurately maintains the content, context and idiomatic style of language;
- Knowledge and understanding of Court functions and procedures;
- Extensive knowledge of legal and technical terminology and colloquial vocabulary in both English and Spanish;
- Extensive knowledge in the proper use and maintenance of equipment and technology required in the performance of the essential responsibilities of translation/interpretation;
- Proficiency in typing and data entry skills and Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn and work with the custom software utilized within the Court and its departments;
- Ability to operate various office machines (e.g., personal computers; copy, scanning/imaging and fax machines);
- Excellent spelling, reading, grammar, punctuation and simple math skills;
- Attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to understand and follow instructions;
- Effective time management, reliability and punctuality;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment;
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
Education and Experience
Required: High school diploma and certification by the Ohio Supreme Court as a “Supreme Court certified foreign language interpreter”; however, provisional certification by the Ohio Supreme Court as a “provisionally qualified foreign language interpreter” will be considered, provided that certification as a “Supreme Court certified foreign language interpreter” is obtained within one (1) year of hire. Court system/procedural experience is preferred.
Certification by the Ohio Supreme Court requires that an applicant: (1) be at least eighteen (18) years old; (2) be a citizen or legal resident of the United States or have the legal right to remain and work in the United States; and (3) have no convictions of any crime involving moral turpitude.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here represent those an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires working in a normal Court and/or office environment with no unusual demands or exposure to hazardous situations. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a computer workstation (keyboard and monitor). Frequent contact is made with Judges, bailiffs, other Court personnel, other agencies, attorneys and the general public.
The normal hours of operation are from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. This position may require some work beyond normal hours, including evenings and weekends.
Qualified applicants will be required to submit to testing. Proof of education and employment references will be required before final interview. The Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas requires submission to a criminal history background check and drug testing for employment. Applicants must submit a letter of interest and resume to:
Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court
Gregory Popovich - Court Administrator
1200 Ontario Street
Justice Center - 11th Floor
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
This position will remain open until filled.
All applicants will receive notification of their application status. No phone calls or e-mails please. Reasonable accommodation may be available to qualified employees and applicants; please contact the Director of Human Resources for Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court at 216-443-8560.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Smoke-Free and Drug-Free Workplace
Visit the Court’s website:
Cuyahoga County’s website:
Qualified applicants will be required to submit to testing. Proof of education and employment references will be required before final interview. The Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas requires submission to a criminal history background check and drug testing for employment.
All applicants will receive notification of their application status. No phone calls or e-mails please. Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs to be accommodated, please contact the Director of Human Resources for Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court at 216-443-8560.