How to become a Notary Public
- Each applicant must be 18 years of age or older; a registered voter or a registered alien.
- Ohio law provides that each applicant must be of good moral character; a citizen of the county within which he or she resides; or an attorney who is qualified and licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio.
- An application must be completed in the Office of the Notary Public Commission.
- A fee of $70.00 is paid at the time the application is completed. Only cash or checks (made payable to the Notary Commission) are accepted.
- A date for a Notary test is provided to the applicant.
- Each applicant is provided a manual for Notaries Public that contains the appropriate information each Notary should know in order to be an effective and competent Notary.
- Each applicant must complete a written and oral examination based upon the information contained in the manual.
- Upon successful completion of the examination, the applicant's name is forwarded to the Secretary of State of Ohio who issues the Notary Public certificate. Upon receipt of the Notary Public certificate, the applicant must record the certificate with the county clerk of courts office. Located in the Cuyahoga County Courthouse, ground floor, Room 34.
- A Notary Public is appointed for a period of five years. Once the term expires, each Notary may reapply for an additional five years by completing the application to renew and paying a fee of $70.00. Renewal by mail is now available for $75.00. Please call us for information at (216) 443-8623.
- An attorney in Ohio is permitted to become a Notary Public for life, as long as he or she is in good standing with the Ohio Supreme Court as a licensed attorney in the State of Ohio. Attorneys must pay a fee of $100.00 and register their certificate with the county Clerk of Courts located at Cuyahoga County Courthouse ground floor Room #34. Attorneys must present their Ohio Supreme Court card and Clerk of Court card at the time of application.
Cuyahoga County Notary Public Office
Cuyahoga County Courthouse Room 101 First Floor
One West Lakeside Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44113
Applications are accepted
Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
The office is staffed during the lunch hour.